Minutes of Field Township’s Regular Board Meeting January 14, 2014
The January Field Township regular board meeting was called to order by Chairman Keith Aho at 7:00 p.m. on January 14, 2014 at the Field Townhall.
Present: Supervisors Aho, Chapman, Brunner, Treasurer Ellie Brunner, Hospital Representative Enzmann, Deputy Clerk Susan Rebman, Clerk Pat Chapman, one township resident.
The December 10, 2013 regular board minutes were read and Chairman Aho stated the minutes would stand as presented.
1. Cook News Herald
2. Office Depot
3. St. Louis County Auditor
4. Lake Country Power
6. St. Louis County Assessor
7. MN Local Tech Assistance Program
9. Vermilion Law Office
10. Joy of Cook
11. MN Power
Treasurer’s report from Treasurer Ellie Brunner:
Beg. Bal: $ 19,561.42
Ending Balance $34,899.36
Outstanding Checks $130.82
Bank Balance $35,030.18
Minutes of Field Township’s Regular Board Meeting January 14, 2014 Page 2
Motion made by Supervisor Chapman, seconded by Supervisor Brunner to approve the treasurer’s report, net pay distribution report and authorize payment of claims. Motion carried unanimously.
- Fire/Ambulance – Supervisor Chapman shared the January 2014 Cook Area Ambulance Service Report.
- There were 24 runs in Dec. including 5 transports and 8 refusals, cancellations or releases. Jan. runs to date: 12 including 2 transfers and 1 cancellation. The day time coverage is short as most of the crew are working day jobs. Mutual aid is relied on for transfers . This is a great concern and discussed at almost every meeting.
- Roads and Bridges –Supervisor Brunner reported roads are snow covered and frozen.
- Hospital – Hospital Representative Enzmann reported the trend shows the hospital will end the year at an operating loss while the nursing home will have significantly reduced operating loss for the first time in many years. The shortage of EMTs is a major concern. Hospital will consider grants for surrounding areas for training and possibly payment to individuals if they agree to serve for a certain amount of time. A meeting was held with Senator Bakk to discuss nursing home losses from Medicaid which are $43 a day and the loss of revenue to Critical Access Hospitals from Blue Cross Blue Shield MN due to Medicare balancing.
- Cemetery- No report.
- Joint Powers- No report.
- Planning and Zoning – In response to correspondence from St. Louis County Assessor’s Office Supervisor Chapman made a motion to use the services of the St. Louis County Assessor’s Office for assessments in Field Township. Seconded by Supervisor Brunner. Motion carried unanimously.
Supervisor Chapman made a motion to appoint the following as election judges and absentee ballot board for the March 11, 2014 annual election: Susan Rebman head judge, Mike Enzmann, Julie Grahn, and Dawn Simpson. Three judges are required and one alternate. Seconded by Supervisor Brunner. Motion carried unanimously.
Susan Rebman reported on the website quote from Art Unlimited which included normal website development. The client training and support video portion of the quote was removed. The one year hosting fee is a standard cost of $203.40. The G-mail account [email protected] is a flat rate of $90 a year. With these corrections the quote is $968.40 instead of $1,093.40.
Deputy Clerk Rebman signed a non-compete clause when she became an Art Unlimited employee so she will work on the township site as an AU employee. She will instruct Clerk Chapman how to use goggle documents which include content submission forms and media library. The Deputy Clerk will be the liaison for Field Township and Art Unlimited.
The board determined the quote is comparable to a price obtained elsewhere. Supervisor Brunner proposed a resolution authorizing contract with an interested officer under Minn. Stat. 471.88, subd. 5. Seconded by Chairman Aho. Supervisor Chapman abstained from voting. Resolution carried unanimously. (See attached resolution.)
The clerk announced the next regular board meeting and Board of Audit will be February 11, 2014at the Field Town hall.
Supervisor Brunner made a motion to adjourn at 8:11 p.m. Motion seconded by Supervisor Chapman.
Motion carried unanimously.